FACTS AND FIGURES
- Area: 186 km 2
- Location: within the central area of the Serbian province of Vojvodina, in the county of Južna Bačka on the northern slopes of Mount Fruška Gora
- Altitude: From 87 to 539 metres above sea level. The Town of Beočin itself is 196 metres above sea level
- Average Temperature; average maximum 16,9 C, average minimum 6,5 C
- Population: 15.726
- Administration: there are eight cadastral municipalities, ten registered local communities and seven local officies
- Demographics: Home to more than twenty nationalities, Serbs represent the majority (68,2 %), followed by: Roma (6,5 %), Slovaks (6 %), Yugoslavs (5,4 %) and Croats (4,7 %).
- On the nortern edge of the splendid Fruška Gora and right bank of the mighty Danube lies Beočin, a town with a rich history and perhaps an even richer future.
- Thanks to its unique geographical position, Beočin has historically proved an idela terminal point for numerous ferries, boats and ships.
- Beočin certainly ownes its origin and development to the prevailing natural conditions, the climate and quality of soil.
GIFTS OF NATURE – LAND, MINES AND FORESTS
- The territory of Beočin municipality is made up of four distinct geological terrains: mountain highlands, loess plateaus, valleys with streams and the alluvium plains of the Danube.
- Of the total area of Beočin municipality, agricultural land account 46 %.
- The areas land quality and formation makes Beočin suitable for crop farming, livestock production, fruit cultivation and viticulture.
- Fruška Gora mass boasts significant mineral resources: marlstone deposits for cement, coal and limestone needed to produce slaked lime.
- 41,43 % of the municipalities land is covered by forest and forestland.
- The mighty and beautiful River Danube, the nearby rich Fruška Gora National Park and the fact that priority is given to large Development projects are just some of the essential elements that will transform Beočin into a serious tourist destination.
- Two of Fruška Gora famous monasteries are located in Beočin, both of which date back to the 16th century.
- Fruška Gora has hiking trails and cycle toutes complete with outstanding natural features and great beauty.
- Development projects: Danube Marinas, Motor campsite, Danube City beach in Beočin.
WHAT YOU CAN SEE IN BEOČIN, AND NOWHERE ELSE?
- Cave “Beli majdan” (White Quarry): this interesantig cave in one of the tourist attractions of Beočin. Formerly a large stone quarry, the mined stone was most likely used to construct the nearby Rakovac Monastery.
- Formerly owned by the Špicer family and co-owned by the Beočin cement plant, it was built between 1890 and 1892 according to a project of Imre Stendala. Though today it has fallen into a state of complete disrepair, the old mansion still contains the contours of its original beauty and refinement.
“ANDREVLJE” – CONGRESS CENTER
The main purpose of the Center is to enable Serbian and foreign scientists, investors
and business persons to organize marketing, administrative, financial and other
activities, as well as presentations, conventions, conferences and seminars, in a relaxed
environment at the hart of Fruška Gora mountain, stretching over 2.700 square meters.
WE ARE ALSO VERY PROUD OF:
- Our religious buildings: 2 monasteries, 9 churches and 1 House of Prayer
- Our Cultural Institutions: The Culture Centre of Beočin Municipality, Libraries of Beočin
- Our Sports centre, and over 20 Sport Clubs
- Back in the 1980s Beočin became the first in the former Yugoslavia to begin development of industrial parks. Small businesses were granted free plots, which marked the beginning of development of the private sector.
- Today , we have three industrial zones: the oldest – full, Lafarge business park (20 ha), and New industrial zone (about 27 ha).
- “We reduced construction land fees for investors employing a certain number of workers. This also relates to those who were already doing business in our area. A spatial plan is being developed and investors will be able to obtain a building permit in five days” – says the Beočin mayor.
- Big international company operates in Beočin: AD “Lafarge”, ALAS HOLDING, DOO “MARS”....
LAFARGE BEOČIN CEMENT FACTORY – OUR PARTNER IN DEVELOPMENT
- The quality of Beočin cement is known to conform to all European and world standards.
- “Investment, modernisation and purification”
- The “Lafarge Group” took over the Beočin cement factory (open at 1839.),at the beginning of 21 st century; today Lafarge BFC is leader in the manufacture of cement in Serbia, with annual production levels in excess of 1,3 milion tonnes.
- “People, care, sociaql responsibility”
- “Our adventage over the competition is not machines and technology, but people”, say management at Lafarge BFC.
OUTLINE OF A DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
- ... Much has changed in Beočin, one of the five most devoloped municipalities in Serbia, since the arrival of world famous French cement manufacturer Lafarge. First and foremost was the return of nature: no more grey roofs, dusty streets, or neglected fields...
- ... The town has had a facelift, peeled off the cement – covered shirt it wore for more than a century and opened up space for other forms of development...
- ...The vision of a more attractive future is now also based on the cultivation of new vineyards and orchards...
- ... Tourism has also once again become a very real and lucrative business option...
AND SO MUCH MORE IS BEING PREPARED HERE, AS IS THE CASE WHEN OPPORTUNITIES EXIST AND WORK IS TAKEN BY INDUSTRIOUS, EDUCATED AND CREATIVE PEOPLE; WHEN THINGS FUNCTION ON THE PRINCIPAL OF ACTION, NOT MERELY REACTION TO EVENTS AND PROCESSES...
WELCOME TO BEOČIN